We’ve just started our 3rd Cruise to Alaska (we did a Cruise Land Tour here once too)… obviously we love visiting this Beautiful State! 🙂
As we re-visit some of the quaint towns the next several days we’ll share with you some of the amazing things you can do up here.
To start off though we wanted to share several exciting facts about Alaska, USA.
Did you know?… That Alaska (AK) is:
- Referred to as “the land of the midnight sun” because parts of it sit above the Arctic Circle. Which means summertime it can stay bright for over 20 hours in certain places
- Of all the 50 States in the United States of America, it is the only one that sits at the most northernly, easterly, and westerly points (most southern is Hawaii)… hard to put into perspective, we know, but the Aleutian Islands make it so due to it’s stretch across the hemispheres.
- The largest animals in Alaska are the:
Polar bear (1,400 pounds, 11 feet tall)
Kodiak bear (1400 pounds, 11 feet tall)
Grizzly bear (brown bear) (800 pounds, 9 Feet Tall)
Moose (1,350 pounds, 5 feet high to shoulder and Antlers span 72 inches)
- The State of Rhode Island (the smallest of all the states) can fit into Alaska 425 times.
- Alaska is only 55 miles east of Russia.
- Over 1/2 of the worlds Glaciers are in Alaska.
- It is the only State to have coastlines on three different seas… Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and the Bering Sea.
- Mt. McKinley (located in Denali National Park) is the highest peak in North America
- Modern man has lived there for 150 years but first settlers are dated back to have lived there over 1000 years ago.
Now you can understand why we have taken so many trips to Alaska…
…it is a very special place, like no other, and each visit is unique as we are awestruck by it’s splendor and beauty every single time.
If you want to check out our pictures & video from our time up here, visit our Alaska & other Cruises gallery now… Cruise # 25, 16 & 11, and the gallery before # 11 of our land tour, will be the ones all about Alaska.
We hope you get to visit Alaska… this untouched, unspoiled and raw land… some day soon!
We appreciate You!
Nancy & Shawn
Your Trusted Cruise Experts!