While Cruising the “Baltic Sea” several years back, we had the opportunity to visit Berlin, Germany.
At first (as it was a 3 hour ride each way from Warnemünde, Germany where the ship docked) we almost decided to skip the full day trip to Berlin.
We’re glad we didn’t though as…
…Berlin is a city with so much to offer and so much history!!
And after having spent just a portion of a day in this intriguing city, the country’s capital, it’s definitely created an urge in us to go back and explore more. Until we do though, we wanted to share some of the sites we saw while visiting Berlin our 1st time around. 🙂
1. Below is a look at the stunning Berlin Cathedral… known as the “Berliner Dom” in the German Language. As well, we’ve included a shot of the Altes Museum… these 2 structures are at the entrance of what’s known in Berlin as Museum Island… a UNESCO World Heritage Site that’s home to 5 internationally significant museums.
2. There’s Berlin’s Beautiful Freedom Tower
3. Below is a look at what little remains of the Berlin Wall that divided East & West Germany for so long… as well you’ll see “Checkpoint Charlie”, the most famous of the crossings that connected the two sides back in the day.
4. The most famous site of all the pics we took that day though was the one below of the Brandenburg Gate… a symbol of Berlin since the late 1700s… this is where Ronald Regan made his famous speech where he encouraged Mikhail Gorbachav to “Tear down this Wall.”
5. For good measure we had to get one last pic of us enjoying a famous German Beer… it definitely made the German sausages we enjoyed go down that much better! 🙂
So there you have it, a look at Berlin, Germany… the country’s largest city with over 3.5 million inhabitants and a hotspot for culture, politics, media, science… and tourism!
Berlin is a fascinating City with so much History and we learned so much during this great day!
We certainly hope you get to experience this city someday soon yourself! 🙂
Visit our Berlin & Baltic Sea Cruise photo & video gallery to see the rest of our pics from our Baltic Sea Cruise.
We appreciate You!
Nancy & Shawn
Your Trusted Cruise Experts!